Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kidney Infection = PAIN

Before I start this entry I guess I should clarify that we are currently now living in Idaho for the summer with my parents! YAY! Nate got an internship at Idaho National Laboratories - he's loving it! He's working on some kind of nuclear-power-plant-blah-blah-KaDee-doesn't-understand project. My parents were so excited to have us come. I hope they are still happy that we are here. I honestly am probably THE worst pregnant woman you will ever meet. Like seriously...

So ever since we came to Idaho I just haven't been feeling the best. Last week I felt a little fluish and I seem to throw up about twice a week. I also don't eat... like ever... I think that's a problem. Don't you? Well I thought that this was just another "You're pregnant, it sucks." thing. This week, however, things got a whole lot worse.
Tuesday I randomly threw up all over the outside of my parents car (My mom didn't pull over in time). It was actually kind of funny because my two nephews Jordan (13) and Pierce (10) were in the car with us and they were surprisingly nice while it was happening. They weren't like, "YUCK!" They just screamed really loud when the vomit hit their windshield. :-P
Then after I finished my biz they asked if I was okay and then started replaying it all the way to my sister's house where they helped me hose down the car.
I was feeling kind of sick but my sister, Jodi and brother in law, Paul were planning on going boating and invited me along and I just told myself that I couldn't let being pregnant ruin all my fun. I went with them and we had a blast. I didn't get in the water but I held my new baby nephew Colby pretty much the whole time. He was so cute.
The next day was when things really collapsed. All of a sudden I had a temperature of 100.3, body aches, chills, and heat sweats. All classic symptoms of the flu. So that's what I thought I had. Wednesday through Friday were horrid! I could not sleep or eat the entire time. I tossed and turned and no matter how I positioned myself, my muscles didn't like it. I would get super cold and wrap myself in a blanket and then have sweat dripping down my forehead two minutes later. It was super frustrating when my legs would be cold and my torso and head were way hot! I spent pretty much the whole 3 days in my bed trying to get better.
By Saturday, I was pretty bummed because there was no progress being made and my mom and dad bought us tickets to go with them to the mack's Inn dinner and theatre as well as a cabin for the night in Island Park. My sister, Heidi and her hubby, Tim came along as well. I really didn't want to miss this. It was pretty expensive and would be a fun time. I really figured that the flu would blow itself over but alas, the only change was that my temperature had increased to 102 degrees on the car ride to Island Park. They dropped me off at the cabin and while they went shopping in Yellowstone, I stayed and tried to get some sleep. When it was time to go to the dinner/theatre I was feeling a tad bit better... a tad. Dinner was all you can eat prime rib... boy, it was good. But I wasn't eating remember?! Yeah, sucky. The two bites I had were really good.
The play was hilarious! It was a Robin Hood spoof... "Robin Hood and the sheriff of Rotting-ham" Super cheesy but was actually really funny. I made it through with like 3 jackets covering me and I kept putting my head in my hands. We were on the front row, they probably thought I hated them. The "Deep Fat Friar" was the funniest character. He had a pillow in his outfit to make him look fat and a fake bald spot on his head. He had a really funny accent and played to the audience very well. He was telling us about the Cinnamon rolls that they were selling at intermission and he said that they were as big as the bald spot on his head. He said that he works on making shapes with the cinnamon rolls but so far the only thing he can make it look like is a rock. haha. I guess you had to have been there. This picture is of the fat friar and my mother. He came and sat by her at intermission and she asked that he NOT take her on stage like they do to so many people there. He just said, "You are cwazy lady." I went to take a picture and he poses and my mom is just dying of laughter. After I took it he said, "I hope you have a fast shutter cuz she was all over the pwace." I'm not a huge fan of totally cheesy plays/musicals but this one was really good. They have an awesome cast with wonderful voices. I would highly recommend that you check it out! So anyway, I was really sick the whole way through. I couldn't hold still - rubbing my legs and getting chills ect. I was ready to get back to the cabin.
Sadly, I spent potentially the worst night of my life in that cabin. Chills, fever, hot sweats and then came the vomiting. I hadn't had anything to eat but I was actually drinking quite a bit. I had my camelback next to me in the bed and I just sucked on it all night like a baby with a bottle. Sad thing was, three times during the night I had to get up and throw up all the water that I had just drank. Needless to say, 6:00 am rolls around and I'm ready for the hospital.
My poor family had to leave their trip early but I was in really bad shape. I mean, I was thinking about what would happen if I died and how I wouldn't want that to happen cuz I wouldn't want to lose my baby. Haha. Have you ever had thoughts like that when you get sick?
The nurse had me take a urine sample and the doctor almost thought it was pneumonia because of the hacking cough that I have at the moment. As it turned out, it was a big fat kidney infection. I never would have guessed that. I thought that the pain in my back was just part of the muscle aches. So for the first time that I can remember, I got slapped with a nice big IV needle. They gave me TWO bags of liquid and some antibiotics. I was there for about 4 hours with the IV in my arm. Luckily my family was there and luckily there was a TV. We had a good time in that room.
So moral of the story is... Go get it checked out if you're not sure what it is and that kidney infections can be just as incapacitating as heart attacks.

OH! And here's a great picture of my dad being a goofball. My brother, Richard is a dentist and he put an implant on #9 (for all of you hygiene freaks) or one of his front teeth and so my dad has a flipper until he can get out to Denver to put a permenant crown on it. My dad is a farmer and he does not wear his flipper while he's out working but a problem arises when he is half way to town or scouts when he realizes that he does not have his tooth with him!!! He takes it out randomly to make us all laugh.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better! Sounds like no fun! Enjoy Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha !!! I can't believe you went out and about being so sick! Glad you are still alive!! I'm in Rigby for the summer too.. if you get bored let me know. I would love to hang out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get feeling better before school starts! And hopefully you can enjoy some of your summer!!

    ReplyDelete